02 May 2010 ~ 7 Comments

Hat Saved From Drowning

What is it about men and their hats? Some of the guys I know who collect them and are so possessive. They don’t like other people trying them on or messing with their hats in any way, shape or form.

Ken has a few hats and he is very fussy about them. He doesn’t appreciate them being tossed around in the car or thrown around the house like a dish rag. He takes good care of them and makes sure that they are in their place so as not to get squashed.

We went for a walk at the Arboretum today, it was very windy. Ken was looking dapper in his blue striped cotton summer hat.

We walked up to the fishing pier and leaned over the railing where the sign said “No swimming or diving off of pier.” Woosh! A big gust of wind came and knocked Kens hat off sending it reeling into the water. It was starting to drift away and was slowly sinking. Oh well, it’s just a hat.

The next thing I know Kens shoes are off and he’s climbing over the railing. Ken to the rescue! Kersploosh into the water he goes with his clothes on like a super hero. He swims out to the hat and grabs a hold of its brim just seconds before it’s demise.

I couldn’t believe it. He jumped in to save a hat. I hope he’s as quick to jump in and save me.
He climbed out of the water looking proud. He got the hat back into shape and laid it in the sun to dry. When we got home he continued to work on it’s shape.  He took the iron out and gave the brim a once over. Good as new.

What is it about men and their hats? I would have just let the thing drown in Lake Powhatan. Maybe the trout could have used it to lay eggs in.

Ken was happy he retrieved his hat and I was happy that he didn’t drown. Another joyous day.

Experience Joy And Pass It On!

Just leave a comment below this post, or click here “WHAT BRINGS YOU JOY” and tell us what brings you joy. :)

7 Responses to “Hat Saved From Drowning”

1. MarkSpizer 3 May 2010 at 6:11 am Permalink

great post as usual!

2. Leigh Jacobs 3 May 2010 at 2:21 pm Permalink

I was laughing so hard reading your story. I could visualize the entire thing! It definitely put a smile on my face and joy to my heart. I just finished putting away all of my party wigs. I brushed each one and neatly put them away in their storage bags, but I’ll have to say, I like sharing them and watching how it changes someone’s personality. Maybe men should share their hats and see what happens……………

3. Katherine 3 May 2010 at 4:10 pm Permalink

I didn’t know my brother could swim ~ Geez Ken, you could’ve drown! Great story though, I can see him doing that, jumping in fully clothed, but to save a hat? Must be a special hat indeed!!

4. Amy 3 May 2010 at 4:39 pm Permalink

It was funny. You’d think he was saving a child or a dog! He didn’t even stop to think about it-just jumped in. I was quite surprised. You know how these guys are though. What would you have jumped in after? Me-a good piece of cake or possibly that chicken dish you made! Ha!!!

5. Amy 3 May 2010 at 4:41 pm Permalink

It was funny. You’d think he was saving a dog or a child. You know how these guys are. What would you jump in after? Hmmm-me a good piece of cake or possibly the chicken you made the other night! Haaa!

6. Amy 3 May 2010 at 4:43 pm Permalink

He isn’t a fish or anything but he can swim. It was rather cute I must say. Like I said, Men and their hats!

7. Amy 3 May 2010 at 4:43 pm Permalink

And what would you jump in after my friend?? Do you have a special hat?